It is important to practice preventive dental care every day to keep your teeth healthy and strong. Practicing good oral hygiene at home and committing to semi-annual cleanings and exams, you can help keep your smile bright and healthy for years to come.
Below are a few simple ways to prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar that lead to cavities and gum disease:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Brush the top surface of your tongue to remove residual food particles and keep your breath fresh!
- Clean between your teeth by flossing at least once a day.
- Eat nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, or fruit and avoid extra-sugary treats.
- Schedule regular checkups with your dentist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- Consider dental sealants, a protective coating that is applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to reduce your chances of decay.
- If you play sports, wear mouthguards designed to protect your smile.