If teeth stains are keeping you from showcasing a confident smile, it’s time to do something about them! There are many ways to remove teeth stains, depending on what’s causing them and how severe they are. Check out these teeth whitening options from Clinton Dental Center.
What Causes Teeth Stains?
There are several potential causes of teeth stains, each with their own unique treatment. Surface stains come from the foods you eat, the liquids you drink, and other lifestyle habits, such as smoking. These stains affect the enamel on your teeth, which is the outermost layer that you see when you smile. Surface stains, also known as extrinsic stains, can typically be treated with teeth cleaning and whitening.
Another cause of teeth stains occurs when the dark colored dentin below your enamel starts to peak through the enamel. This could be due to thinning enamel or because of intrinsic stains within your teeth. Some people have naturally darker dentin or naturally thinner enamel than others, so this is not always something you can control. Your dentist may treat this with whitening, Lumineers, enamel-building treatments, and other personalized solutions.
Aging is one of the most common reasons for teeth stains, and once again, it’s not in your control. As you age, your enamel thins and your teeth develop progressive layers of staining. You can correct age-related stains with some of the treatments mentioned above, depending on your overall oral health.
How to Remove Teeth Stains
The first step in removing teeth stains is identifying the root cause of them. After an oral exam, your dentist can recommend the best way to brighten your smile. Options may include:
- Take-home teeth whitening kits that are molded to fit your smile
- In-office teeth whitening that provides faster results and instant stain removal
- Lumineers that sit directly on your natural teeth without any grinding necessary
- Porcelain veneers that permanently whiten and contour your smile
- Teeth whitening toothpaste or mouthwash for general upkeep
- Routine teeth cleanings and daily brushing/flossing
Your dentist will suggest the best course of treatment based on your unique needs. Here at Clinton Dental Center, we offer everything from professional teeth cleanings to custom cosmetic dentistry. If you’d like a consultation with one of our highly-experienced stain removal specialists, please call (586) 949-5363.
Dental Stain Prevention Tips
The best way to remove teeth stains is to prevent them from forming in the first place. Proactive teeth stain prevention will keep your smile looking bright and white. Here are some simple steps to follow for your smile.
- Avoid dark liquids, such as red wine, soda and coffee. If you consume these beverages, brush your teeth or rinse your mouth about 20 minutes after the last sip. This will minimize stain exposure.
- Brush at least twice per day and floss once. This will prevent tooth stains and tooth decay.
- Get a professional teeth cleaning twice per year. You’d be amazed by how white your smile can get just with routine oral healthcare.
- Make sure you brush your teeth before bed. Your mouth produces less saliva at night, making it harder for your mouth to clean itself. Starting with a clean smile will keep stains to a minimum.
- Be diligent about oral care if you have braces. This includes invisible braces and metal braces.
- Talk to your dentist about oral health concerns, such as sensitive teeth or targeted staining. Your dentist can recommend the appropriate solution for your unique needs.
For more tips about teeth stain removal and prevention, contact Clinton Dental Center at (586) 949-5363.