Thinking about getting Invisalign? Clear aligners are a highly-sought after alternative to traditional metal braces. They are far less noticeable, and they are often faster and more affordable. Nevertheless, there are some limitations to Invisalign treatment. Let’s take a look at what invisible braces can and can’t do.
Smile Issues Invisalign Can Treat
Invisalign and other invisible braces products can treat a variety of smile concerns, including:
- Overbite: The upper front teeth protrude past the lower teeth.
- Underbite: The lower front teeth extend past the upper teeth.
- Open bite: The upper and lower teeth do not fully connect when closed.
- Crowding: The teeth are closely compacted without enough room for proper alignment.
- Crooked teeth: The teeth are not in a smooth arch along the jaws.
- Tooth gaps: Unwanted spaces between teeth.
With this in mind, the applicability of Invisalign largely depends on the severity of the misalignment. Some smiles may require treatment with traditional metal braces before they can be aligned with clear braces.
Treatment Limitations for Invisible Braces
Invisible braces work using a series of custom clear trays. These trays are designed to shift the smile into its ideal placement over time. This setup is not ideal for all orthodontics treatment plans. Here are some smile issues that invisible braces cannot fix:
- Large gaps between teeth: While Invisalign can correct small gaps, it is not fit for large gap closure.
- Rotating teeth: If a tooth is more than 20 degrees beyond its ideal position, it cannot be straightened with Invisalign alone.
- Raised or lowered teeth: If a tooth sits higher than the other teeth in the arch, Invisalign cannot lower the tooth’s position.
- Dental issues limited by bridges and other dental work: If you have a fixture in your mouth that cannot shift, that may limit your options with invisible braces.
These issues may not prohibit you from getting Invisalign, but they will require additional treatments before invisible braces become an option.
Am I a Candidate for Invisalign?
If you’re unsure about your options, the best thing to do is to come in for a consultation. We can examine your smile and your goals to see if invisible braces are suited to your circumstances. The consultation also allows you to ask any questions you have about orthodontics. Dr. Sadikoff and his team are more than happy to help. Give us a call at (586) 949-5363 to schedule an Invisalign consultation.