Family dentist, general dentist, pediatric dentist – what’s the difference between these professions? Do they all offer the same services, or is there a specific type of dentist you should be seeing? Let’s explore what general dentists do and what type of dentist you may need in the future.
What Does a General Dentist Do?
Think of a general dentist as a primary care physician for your teeth. This is the dentist you’ll see for most of your routine oral care, including:
- Teeth cleanings
- Oral exams
- Dental sealants and fillings
- Crowns and bridges
- Full mouth X-rays
- Basic tooth extractions
- Root canals
- Gum disease and tooth decay prevention
- Dental bonding to repair chipped or traumatized teeth
- Restorative and preventative dental services
General dentists can offer other services, such as cosmetic dentistry, teeth whitening, invisible braces, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, porcelain veneers and dental implants. The specific services your general dentist provides will depend on his or her education, certifications and specialties. Look for a general dentist near you that offers the primary services you need.
Is a General Dentist the Same as a Family Dentist?
The terms general dentist and family dentist are often used interchangeably. This is because both titles indicate that a dentist provides a wide range of oral care solutions. Some dentists prefer to refer to themselves with one title or the other, but this should not affect your search much.
Is a General Dentist a Pediatric Dentist?
Pediatric dentists specialize in oral care for children. Some child dentist offices exclusively work with younger patients, but general dentists work with patients of all ages. Thus a general dentist can be a pediatric dentist, but a pediatric dentist isn’t always a general dentist.
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), many families avoid visiting the dentist due to inconvenient appointments. This is especially true for parents who struggle to juggle their own dentist appointments and their children’s dental visits. Clinton Dental Center provides pediatric dentistry and adult dentistry under one roof, so you can schedule coordinating appointments for everyone.
What makes this setup even better is the fact that your child doesn’t have to transition to a new dentist office as he or she ages. They can continue seeing the kind, knowledgeable staff at Clinton Dental Center well into their adult years. Contact us at (586) 949-5363 to schedule a general dentist appointment for you and your children.
How to Choose a Trustworthy General Dentist near You
Whether you’re near our dentist office in Chesterfield MI or you’re searching for a general dentist near you, these tips can help you find the right dentist:
- Find a dentist that offers the specific services you’re looking for – teeth whitening, oral exams, composite fillings, braces, etc.
- Make sure the dentist accepts your insurance, or see if your insurance plan has out-of-network coverage
- If you do not have insurance, inquire about the cost of care
- Determine if the dentist office is in a convenient location, and verify that they have parking available
- See what appointment times they offer, as many dentists have special hours for the weekend
- Choose a general dentist that makes you feel comfortable (You should never feel judged going to the dentist!)