Smiles have been inspiring artists for centuries. The Mona Lisa, arguably one of the most famous paintings in the world, is famous because of her smile! Musicians, novelists, and playwrights pay tribute to smiles in their work, as well. But did you know that smiling is actually good for you? At the Clinton Dental Center, we want you to be comfortable sharing your smile; here are just a few reasons you should want to smile, as well:
- Smiling makes you look attractive. A smile tells others that you’re warm and approachable, while a frown or even neutral expression discourages interaction. Smiling often to draw others to you.
- Smiling makes you look younger. Over the years, gravity takes its toll on our faces. A smile combats that. Look in the mirror with a neutral expression, then try smiling. When you smile, your cheeks, mouth, jowls, and eyes move upward, making you appear to be younger.
- Smiling lowers your heart rate. In a study conducted at the University of Kansas, participants were given tasks that were known to be stressful. Their heart rates were monitored under different conditions: frowning, a neutral expression, and smiling. The heart rates of those who smiled lowered faster than their frowny and neutral counterparts. Smile and enjoy heart health!
- Smiling makes you feel good. When you smile, neurotransmitters known as endorphins, which are natural pain killers, and serotonin, a natural mood elevator, are released. The combination leaves you feeling relaxed and uplifted.
- Smiling is contagious. Not only does it make you feel and look good, it makes others feel great, as well. Sometimes, all it takes to brighten a gloomy day is a smile from a stranger. Share your happiness by sharing your smile.
If there is anything about your teeth that prevent you from sharing your smile, let us help! We proudly serve patients in Chesterfield, Michigan, and the surrounding areas. Let us give you the smile you’ve always wanted so you can start to enjoy the benefits it has to offer.